Dinosaur Dog: Crazy diamonds

Friday, March 9, 2012

Crazy diamonds



Do you think we’ll ever be happy ? she asked.

We had just made love, and everything was quiet and soft and I was leaving in something like half an hour. It was always hard to leave, but that was always better than the first time I left, which meant things were coming to an end.

I did not light a cigarette. The question was not as sad as you might think, and it was true we had been through hell a few times. But these times did not matter, since we had easily overcome them. I did not know better than anyone, I did know better than her, but looking at the face I loved so much, I knew it was well worth giving it a try.

I already talked about Class Actress briefly, but I’m obsessed and so should you - and this song was in  Chronicle. Yup, as a Friday Night Lights fan, I saw Chronicle and John Carter but whatever. I love how the synths buzz, how this sounds so 80’s. It reminds me of the first time my brother heard Hungry Like The Wolf and said « This is good, what is it ? » without realizing it was 30 years old.

Class Actress sounds like that : you know where it comes from, a place lost in time and space where lipstick glowed in the dark and night clubs were still cool, but it kind of recreates it here and now. It never sounds old, never corny. There’s a despair in Elizabeth Harper’s high-pitched voice, in her begging but resigned lyrics that feels like a modern pain, like seeing your lover offline on gtalk. That comparison does not sound quite right but there’s a litterary romanticism that hits a soft spot in me.


When I saw this song this morning, I could not resist the urge to click on it. It’s just Antoine Doinel talking over a nice sample with added drums. As anyone with a brain and a heart, I, not surprisingly, love François Truffaut (and would give a lot to be young Jean-Pierre Léaud just for a day), so I’m pretty psyched.

No comments:

Post a Comment