Dinosaur Dog: Get naked

Monday, February 27, 2012

Get naked



Starting blogging again feels like a trap. It’s not that I’m scared, I’ve been doing that shit for years, and I’ve been doing it pretty well. I mean, girls were pretty fond of the shit I did, I guess, but you never know how things might go. I guess the key is not thinking too much and doing it.

It pretty much feels like getting back with that girl I was really in love with after a five months hiatus. I rang her bell, she came to the door, she was wearing that tight dark blue miniskirt that makes her ass look even more amazing – man, I almost wish you could see that, though I should probably kill you after that. And you know, she was on the phone, and I strolled in her apartment, which I already inhabited and it didn’t feel like home yet, you just couldn’t know everything would not fall apart right here right now, and it was kind of scary eventhough I had done all this in the past. She then hung up and I put my hands on her cheeks and we kissed and well the rest is kind of nobody’s business (but we got naked).

So there we are and I’m blogging and my opinion counts right ?

First thing : Lana Del Rey. Well, I’m glad I wasn’t doing that shit anymore when everyone was jerking off on her, cause now we all know it ain’t worth much. I mean, I’ve listened to that LP like, maybe 10 times cause I’m always a little obsessed, but that’s still not much compared to Take Care’s fifty-or-so spinnings. There’s nothing much to it but it’s Ulysses mermaids’ song, so, bleed it to death and let’s never talk about it again.

Also, good music from little acts out recently : LPs from Blouse, Phèdre and Standard Fare, among others, and a nice single from Blackbird Blackbird.

At last, let’s be serious for a second. A few bands still not that much known you probably know anyway : Charli XCX, Blondes and Princeton.

Charli XCX is that nineteen year old upcoming girl from Britian who does dark synth pop with the help of big producers, and yeah, that helps. She’s a bit too in love with the 80’s, and maybe Robert Smith (or Beetlejuice), too, but I’ve always loved ‘em both. It reminds me of Class Actress, who wrote some of the best songs of 2011, and all that synthpop revival really really excites me. Charli has been around for 3 years or so, but two weeks ago she released a song for Valentine’s day, and it does not even sound gay.




Blondes just released their first LP which is a compilation of a series of songs they did for RVNG Intl, each record reuniting too songs about opposite subjects, like wine and water or business and pleasure. Not sure it’s crystal clear but whatever. So, they’re doing electronic music in a rock way one could say, recording their tracks live, so that means you can hear them add layer of synth after layer of synth. You won’t hear much more, these are danceable and hypnotical house tracks influenced by krautrock with a psychedelic twist. Just listen to Moondance, from their first EP : it’s 11 minutes long but you won’t see the time pass.


Last but not least, Princeton. I’ll get to it when I’ll stop listening to the song from the Nokia Lumia ad (Gardens from Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs) that obsesses me right now.

So, if you’ve read me before, you know I’ve been a pretty huge fan of Kisses since the beginning. Last year, Jesse Kivel and Zinzi Edmundson, his girlfriend, released a vintage disco record which was perfect to make love on the beach while sipping beer you’d later let boil on a wood table. So, being a little obsessive as I already said, I did a little googling and found out about Princeton, Jesse and his twin brother’s other band. They released two EP’s, did a shoegazy Daytrotter session, and their second album just hit the internets.

Everything about them is quite great, and fuck objectivity. Remembrance of things to come is breezy and light, sometimes catchy and danceable, but not too much (Boat Club’s Memories, anyone ?). There are no guitars in any of these new songs, but there’s a shitload of marimba or whatever that is, and yeah you could but don’t mention Vampire Weekend please. It’s just too bad it went out now and not in summer again. 




No comments:

Post a Comment